Friday, March 14, 2008

Kill-A-Watt

As it's energy month at All Shades, here is another home gadget that will help you conserve energy and live consciously.


The electricity meters for my apartment building happen to be right outside my front door, so, I can obsessively track my consumption and compare it with my neighbors anytime.  But as for individual appliances in my home, I have no idea which ones are the worst offenders or how much juice they're using on a given day.


Enter the Kill-A-Watt.


All you do is plug this handy gizmo into any appliance and its LED screen will tell you how many kilowatt hours that appliance is using, in a minute, in an hour, in a month.  


It's a great tool for helping you get the facts about how much electricity your machines are burning up.  You can find out if they're vampires (appliances that use juice even when they're off) and make decisions about things like whether or not to replace your current, dusty fridge with a shiny, new energy star model and whether investing in a power strip in a given room will save both energy and money.


We've got these little gadgets in the store now (39.95) to help you get a handle on the electricity coursing through your home.


No comments: